SEO (search engine optimization) and SMO (social media optimization) are powerful techniques that you can use to promote your brand. These strategies are the draw that pulls in potential visitors to your website. It is a methodology to direct web traffic to a singular goal and that’s the generation of potential leads.
There is a big difference in these two strategies.
- SEO analyses visitors who use search engines looking for a specific product or information.
- SMO analyses visitors who connect with social media websites like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to find content and connect with other people.
SMO technique in its simplest form revolves around creating buzz. The reason is obvious.
- There are nearly 850 million users on Facebook.
- More than 25% check their status at least 4 times a day.
- More than 75% of social users prefer to connect with brands via Facebook.
- SMO is harnessing the power of web travel. Creating Facebook pages, being active on Twitter and other social media is standard SMO techniques.
However, while SMO may be great, it is imperative that it is done in an ethical way. When you use white SMO techniques you’ll engage the user in a useful manner.
- Examples are using Facebook’s news feed updates.
- Interesting snippets and stories get bumped up-to the top of your news feed keeping the subject alive.
- Blog posts and increasing linkability add up to aggregation in areas of the web.
Thought pieces and white papers are other techniques that enhance the power of linkability. It takes time and effort to create them and place it in proper forums. The web landscape is competitive and the prerequisite is having an audience. So just creating white papers is not enough. It needs to be shared. At Wildnet, we know the intricacies involved in white SMO and how to implement it to your benefit.